Public Liability Insurance: What Is It? | As a business owner, you undoubtedly know about the various threats that could impact your company. However, if you’re running a commercial enterprise on a larger scale, even the best-laid plans might go awry if something unexpected comes up. That’s why having public liability insurance is so important.
Read on to learn the ins and outs of what public liability insurance actually means.
Read: A Comparison Between Direct and Traditional Mutual Funds
What is insurance for public liability?
Public liability insurance protects your firm from public injury, death, and property damage claims. The public includes customers, guests, and delivery people.
Public liability insurance covers claims for business-related incidents. It protects you and your organization if a third party sues you for injuries or property damage caused by your business.
A BOP includes this general liability insurance. Premises liability insurance covers third-party accidents on your commercial site.
Why do we require public liability insurance?
A huge commercial business with several offices is at risk of product failure, damage, and harm. Hospitals and BPOs with frequent client engagement need such insurance even more.
Public liability insurance is suggested for the following businesses.
- In-office consultations with regular clients.
- Obtaining entry to customer assets, as is the case with IT companies.
- If you’re doing business on a site not owned by you.
What is covered under public liability insurance?
Public liability insurance protects business-related third-party injury and property damage claims. It covers workplace accidents and client property damage.
If a client or member of the public is injured on your property, your comprehensive commercial general liability insurance policy will cover medical expenses, property damage, and legal fees after you meet your deductible, up to the policy limits.
This insurance covers you and your staff’s accidents on a client’s property. It does not cover damage to materials, machinery, or people.
The public liability insurance legislation 1991 now covers industry, non-industry, and hazardous material company hazards. Additional legal fees related to
- Extreme weather events
- Recycled water,
- Unexpected or accidental contamination, etc.
What does public liability insurance not cover?
The following are specifically excluded from insurance coverage under the Public Liability Insurance Act of 1991:
- I hope no one on your team gets hurt seriously.
- Cases of property damage
- The cost of correcting subpar work.
- Criminal Misconduct
- Liability based on a contract
- Things that happen before or after the policy’s coverage period
- Advertising that causes harm due to asbestos
- irresponsibility or a lack of care
What causes public liability claims?
As a business owner, you have a lot on your plate without having to worry about potential public liability claims. The following are some examples of situations when a claim for public liability might be filed:
- Your company’s methods could cause physical harm or even death to innocent bystanders.
- The wrongful destruction of another person’s property due to your carelessness in conducting business.
- Your carelessness may cause actual monetary harm.
- Damage to the property was caused by faulty equipment installation.
Your company runs the risk of being sued whenever it deals with outside parties like consumers or vendors.
Public liability insurance’s advantages
It is prudent to safeguard your company against the many potential dangers that can arise at its many locations. Here are some of the advantages:
- In spite of the liability issue, it will allow you to carry on with business as usual.
- The policy will protect you if you are wrongfully detained, wrongfully entered, or slandered.
- You are eligible to make a claim on the insurance if you have rented the space and signed a lease, and then any liability happens.
- The insurer will handle all legal proceedings, including lawsuits, investigations, and settlements.
Join our social handles | EKANA TECHNOLOGIES